[Eeglablist] Questions about Permutation and Paired t test

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Sat Jul 18 16:33:45 PDT 2020

Dear Zaeem,

>  First Q: Does the same process happens when we call std_erspplot??

No. ICs should never be averaged before throwing them into the stats
function--otherwise how do you calculate variance? Hence the input must be
3-D (freq, time, ICs).

> Second Q: Why do we mean the data of each condition first and then make
statistical comparisons? Shouldn't the subject/components be permuted
across conditions?

You are right.

> Third Q: I have read the tutorial and article on cluster based
permutation testing in Fieldtrip. Is EEGLAB's permutation testing similar
to that?

I have never used the cluster-based test you mentioned. EEGLAB itself does
not support cluster-based test. It is only available as Fieldtrip's option.

Makoto