[Eeglablist] ICA calculation on core i7 vs. i9

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Sun Jul 19 17:55:40 PDT 2020

Dear Arno,

> I would be careful about spending up ICA by simply reducing the number of
samples. The number of sample is important in reaching a stable solution
(the more independent observations, the better).

If simply the number of datapoint were to matter, it would be possible to
record 1-second 128ch EEG data at 1MHz sampling and run ICA to obtain
satisfactory results. But apparently it would not work.
When I discussed this issue with Luca, he suggested that we should rather
consider the length of data length in second rather than the number of
datapoints. I found his argument convincing. Hence I always recommend that
our convention of 20-30*ch^2 applies at 250 HZ.

> This would deserve numerical comparisons.

I totally agree with you.This kind of validational study is necessary and
would make a good low-hanging-fruit publication for grad students.

Makoto