[Eeglablist] Removing event manually

Dan Kleinman kleinman at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 10:12:13 PDT 2020

Dear Martin,

If you want to remove boundary events entirely, this can be accomplished more efficiently (and, more importantly, with less potential for error) with a single line of code:

EEG.event = EEG.event(~strcmp({EEG.event.type},'boundary’));

That replaces the entire event list with the subset of events that are not boundary events.

This will not ‘damage’ your dataset in that the underlying EEG data will remain intact since you are only editing the event list. However, I should note that boundary events are useful markers when performing operations like filtering (not a good idea to filter across non-continuous segments of EEG) and epoching (you won’t want to retain an epoch that contains a boundary event). As such, I find it’s best to leave them in the event list. But if these situations don’t apply to you, perhaps because all of your boundary events exist only in segments of the data that would be discarded anyway during epoching, it shouldn’t cause problems.

Best,
Dan Kleinman

—
Daniel Kleinman, Ph.D.