[Eeglablist] Analysis of TMS-induced harmonics in the EEG

Scott Makeig smakeig at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 11:31:58 PST 2021

Juliana -

These will also soon be a new toolbox, the 'Independent Modulator Analysis
Toolbox' (IMAT), that can separate harmonic from non-harmonic activity. If
you might like to test its use, write Johanna Wagner <joa.wagn at gmail.com>.

Scott Makeig

On Thu, Jan 7, 2021 at 3:20 PM JULIANA CORLIER <corlier at g.ucla.edu> wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> I would like to get some expert advice on how to assess/quantify the
> presence of harmonics in the EEG.
> Notably, our lab is using EEG recordings during repetitive transcranial
> magnetic stimulation (TMS) and we would like to assess whether the
> stimulation at a certain frequency elicits an entrainment at the
> stimulation frequency but also at other frequencies.
>
> My first approach was to check for ‘ratios of frequencies’ that show
> activation in the time-frequecy domain post stimulation, but that turned
> out to be a more tricky than I have aniticipated.
> I was wondering if there is a proper approach to harmonics analysis?
> One would think that engineers and signal processing experts outside of
> neurosciences deal all the time with that.
>
> Any advice is much appreciated!
>
> Thank you!
>
> Juliana Corlier

Scott Makeig, Research Scientist and Director, Swartz Center for
Computational Neuroscience, Institute for Neural Computation, University of
California San Diego, La Jolla CA 92093-0559, http://sccn.ucsd.edu/~scott