[Eeglablist] evaluation of artifact removal performance

Colin Fera cfera2922 at sdsu.edu
Sat Jan 16 14:13:13 PST 2021

Greetings,

Given a dataset which includes both EMG and EOG artifacts and
reference channels I would like to make a comparison of artifact removal
algorithms from two perspectives.

Perspective 1 would be the performance of the removal algorithm in terms of
its ability to remove artifacts and perspective 2 would be the performance
of the removal algorithm in terms of its ability to NOT remove desired EEG
signals.

The method I had in mind was to identify artifact epochs, and then
calculate the correlation coef between the reference channels and EEG
channels before and after artifact removal (for perspective 1) a lower
correlation should indicating better artifact removal.  Perspective 2 would
be similar but instead would compare between unmodified EEG channels and
channels with artifacts removed except that it would be during epochs
without identified artifacts.

In pursuing this, I am wondering if EEG lab has a function or plugin that
can identify artifacts epochs given a reference channel.

Second question; does anyone have any recommendations for better ways to do
this?

Thanks,
CJ