[Eeglablist] Dealing with a noisy TP10 channel for re-referencing (average TP9-TP10)

Boki Wang pwang91 at asu.edu
Wed Feb 10 17:25:43 PST 2021

Hi list,

I am new to (pre)-processing of resting-state EEG data. I am using a 32
channel system, where the reference electrode is the right earlobe. During
offline analysis, I would re-reference the data to average mastoids
(average of TP9 and TP10).

But the TP10 channel for one of the participants is contaminated by noise,
so much so that the power spectrum doesn't look like 1/f function, but a
NIKE logo where power for frequencies of 12Hz and beyond starts increasing
(hope this makes sense). I don't think it's appropriate to use the data
from this channel for re-referencing.

In this case, what's the best thing to do for re-referencing? Can I
interpolate TP10 electrode and still use the interpolated data for
re-referencing? Or, if I remove this electrode and use average reference
(which isn't great for 32 channel data either right?), can I process this
participants' data with everyone else's?

Would appreciate any pointers!

Thank you!

Boki