[Eeglablist] Plotting 3D voltage topography at single time point

Stefon van Noordt stefonv0 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 07:10:30 PST 2021

Dear Kaelasha,

Perhaps not the most elegant solution, but you could manually change the
data in the EEG structure so that it reflects the voltages at a specific
time point for each channel. Then you could pass this to the pop_headplot
function.

% Pull out the voltage values at the time point of interest for each
channel (where the time point in this example is 1000)
my_spike_dat = EEG.data(:,1000);

% Load dataset from the same study, then epoch the data to any event (it
doesn't matter which one as you'll be replacing the data)

% Reduce down to only 2 epochs (as you said, the topo functions typically
require epoched data)
EEG = pop_select( EEG,'trial',[1 2] );

% Replace data at each time point with your spike EEG data
for i = 1:1343;
    EEG.data(:,i,1) = my_spike_dat;
    EEG.data(:,i,2) = my_spike_dat;
end

% Now you have 2 epochs, were every time point is the same data for each
channel

% Use pop_headplot to plot 3D map (it doesn't matter which time point you
choose, so 100 in the example below is arbitrary)
figure; EEG = pop_headplot(EEG, 1, 100,...
    'eeg topo', [1  1],...
    'setup',...
    {'/media/spline_for_headplot.spl' 'meshfile' 'mheadnew.mat' 'transform'
[0 -24 -48 -0.05 0 -1.57 1080 1140 1110] },...
    'maplimits',[-1,4],'electrodes','off');

You'll likely want to create your own mesh file and change the values here
for the transform based on your montage.

Hopefully this will be useful.

Best,
Stefon