[Eeglablist] ICA in short duration recordings

Scott Makeig smakeig at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 12:58:49 PST 2022

Paul -

For ICA decomposition is best to use as much data as you have - e.g, the
entire recording session containing the 'epochs' of interest - and to
retain the full sampling rate (ICA can use info in higher frequencies as
well). Of course, against this is the concern about stationarity - *of the
source model*, meaning source projection patterns (scalp maps) AND source
probability density functions (pdfs, component voltage histograms). Thus,
rejecting data containing signficant !#$? muscle/movement artifact is
important, as is considering rejecting data when the subject is in another
'state' (of consciousness, attention,...). In particular, it is inadvisable
to use the data interpolation features of ASR (UNLESS you absolutely need
near real-time processing), though with conservative cutoffs its data
rejection features can be useful.

A (currently) advanced option is to use (mm)AMICA decomposition in its
multi-model mode to automatically separate the data into 2 or more subsets
with distinct, though typically not hugely different, ICA decompositions.
There are 'Post-AMICA tools' available to assess which portions of the data
are segregated by mmAMICA, either across continuous time or within an
erpimage showing event-related model dynamics across event-related epochs
extracted from the data.

Another option, when the total number of available time points is
insufficient, is to reduce the number of channels decomposed . Nima built a
command line function (in the misc func EEGLAB folder) to select from an
electrode montage any given number of electrodes with max. evenly spaced
locations (for example, when asked giving a near-evenly spaced subset of 43
of the 64 electrodes). But by applying the thinking above you may be able
to avoid this for your data. [An advanced option here would be to select
and decompose many different channel subsets, then interpolate the
resulting IC maps and cluster on maps and time courses - I don't know
anyone who has tried this yet and would be interested to hear from anyone
who has].

I don't get a clear enough picture of your data recording to apply the
principles above to your data ... How would you do so?

Scott