[Eeglablist] Inconsistent results using clean_artifacts

Gil Avila, Cristina cristina.gil at tum.de
Tue Mar 8 07:49:23 PST 2022

Dear Prabhakar and Makoto,

Thank you for your responses. I have tried both
1) Uncomment the lines in clean_channels() that fix the seed for random stream and
2) Keep the clean_channels() code as it as and fix in my code the seed of the random number generator: rng('default');

In both cases I get a stable set of bad channels although the set of bad channels in 1) is different than the set of bad channels in 2). These 'tricks' make stable the bad channel detection. Nevertheless, I am concerned about the RANSAC algorithm itself. I believe it is suboptimal that, depending on how the channels were initially chosen,  different sets of bad channels are given as an output. I don't know if this will have an impact on later results such as power effects between groups. Do you think that this channel discrepancy will impact later results or do you think that it will be diluted when looking into large datasets?

Best,
Cristina