[Eeglablist] Code with tutorial to find optimal cut-off parameter of ASR

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Mon Mar 14 16:27:17 PDT 2022

Dear Velu,

Relatedly, Hyeonseok and I have been working on a mod for the calibration
stage of ASR to process our Juggling data collected by Hiroyuki.
We will present the idea at the Mobi meeting 2022.
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__sites.google.com_ucsd.edu_mobi2022_&d=DwIFaQ&c=-35OiAkTchMrZOngvJPOeA&r=kB5f6DjXkuOQpM1bq5OFA9kKiQyNm1p6x6e36h3EglE&m=EPeRz5TzFSYYznxZnS2m3PtKD2iJKn761bzPggIVLh6SzXSz3DEp2Uxr9dBTzC9U&s=4KfHFFciD6WCO1XVfkQroJsihX_LWffBL6Eh2KXRqcI&e=

The idea is to use single-frame order statistics across electrodes rather
than the default sliding window for selecting the calibration data. This
way, we can obtain more 'clean' data points without letting high-amplitude
artifacts into the calibration data (there is a default tolerance
value--that is, the default setting allows a small amount of outliers sneak
into the calibration data, up to 7.5% of electrodes; The proposed
method uses 0%.) The proposed method makes subsequent PC distributions more
Gaussian, which fits the assumption of ASR. Also, the proposed method seems
to be able to explain, at least partially, the reason why the
conventional empirically recommended values for the cutoff SD are unusually
high, such as SD == 20. We will show both simulation and empirical results.
Check out the MoBI 2022 conference!

Makoto