[Eeglablist] [EXTERNAL] 16 Hz artifact with lower harmonics in data

Malte Anders malteanders at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 13:54:30 PDT 2022

Hi Brian,

Every input here is very much appreciated, so please do not refrain from
giving very basic suggestions in case we missed something!

1) Something is also telling me that this is coming from the measuring
equipment itself. As you already suggested, this can be induced via the
grounding electrode. I need to get back in the lab next week and have a
very basic look. I was thinking of instrumentation as well, but have you
ever seen an externally induced artifact with an amplitude of 900
microvolts besides the 50/60 Hz artifact? I haven't... Even eye blinks are
200-300 microvolts max. But I will try to turn everything off anyways.
2 and 3: very good suggestions. We have connected a signal generator and
got a very clean signal on the online recording screen. But we set that
signal generator to 5V (the maximum our recorder can measure), so we
probably missed 900 microvolts of artifact if there would have been any. I
need to input some milli- or microvolts and see if the artifact persists -
in hindsight, 5 Volt was not a useful idea. So very good suggestion.

I will keep you updated. In the meantime, thank you very much!

Malte