[Eeglablist] Is single-electrode-reference such as FCz-reference problematic for ICA function (pop_runica)?

Anna Michélsen a21annmi at student.his.se
Mon Jun 13 02:22:08 PDT 2022

Dear Dr Makeig,

Thank you very much for your assistance. I have tested to lower the threshold with a somewhat increased similarity between the components classified as artifactual between repeated runs. The distribution of eye and muscle classification probabilities were relatively similar between the runs, but they still differed, and the ICA decompositions seem to vary more in datasets referenced to FCz than those with the average reference.
These variations seem further to have downstream effects because when I calculate the mean alpha power (8-13 Hz) for each dataset (i.e., the same dataset being repeatedly run through ICA and ICLabel), the results vary. Thus, for average-referenced data, the processing pipeline is reproducible: repeated runs with the same dataset return similar results. For FCz-referenced data, however, the results vary between runs with the same settings.
Note that I have only repeated the runs a small number of times.

I am wondering what might be causing this problem because I would ideally like to use a hard threshold with ICLabel instead of removing components manually, both for reproducibility reasons and because I have a large dataset.

Regards,
Anna