[Eeglablist] Question about the statistical result of the main effects on ERSP data using EEGLAB GUI

Park, Jinhan jinhan.park at ufl.edu
Fri Nov 4 04:05:41 PDT 2022

Dear all,

At a cluster level, I am analyzing ERSP data of a two-way (2 conditions x 2 groups) ANOVA design using EEGLAB GUI.
When I plotted the figures of the two-way ANOVA results, however, the figure that represented the main effect for the conditions seemed to be more for the main effect for groups, not the conditions.

The procedures to get the ERSP figures using GUI:

  1.  Create a STUDY.
  2.  Load each subject and subject's condition datasets individually preprocessed.
  3.  Go to "Study" and then Click "Select/Edit study design(s)".
  4.  Set up STUDY design --> conditions (High-Gain vs. Low-Gain) X groups (Controls, Patients).
  5.  Go to the "precompute component measures" --> Check the "ERSP" box.
  6.  "PCA clustering (optional)" --> "Build preclustering array" --> Check the "ERSPs", "dipole locations" and "dipole orient" --> Hit the "OK"
  7.  "PCA clustering (optional)" --> "cluster components" --> Use "Kmeans" and check the "Separate outliers (enter std.)" box --> Hit the "OK"
  8.  Set up statistical methods --> "General statistical parameters" --> Check the "Compute 1st independent variable statistics if any" and "Compute 2nd independent variable statistics if any" --> "Use EEGLAB statistics" --> "Permutation statistics" (n = 2000) and alpha = 0.05 (no correction for multiple comparison)
  9.  Conduct "ERSP" for a cluster.

As with the above procedures, I have tried doing it with other datasets (e.g., 2x3 two-way ANOVA design), but I am strongly sure the figure for the main effect of conditions looks like groups' main effect, not the conditions.

I would sincerely appreciate it if you could let me know what is going on here.

Best regards,
Jinhan Park

Jinhan Park | Ph.D. student
College of Health and Human Performance
University of Florida
Laboratory of Rehabilitation Neuroscience | lrnlab.org
Phone: +1 (352) 328-6605
Email: jinhan.park at ufl.edu<mailto:jinhan.park at ufl.edu>