[Eeglablist] Inquiry about clean_artifacts.m function

ibrilmay at uni-koeln.de ibrilmay at uni-koeln.de
Tue Jan 24 21:36:22 PST 2023

Hi,

This topic comes up repeatedly on the list. There is a publication by
the mobilab people from Berlin
(https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.biorxiv.org/content/biorxiv/early/2022/10/06/2022.09.29.510051.full.pdf__;!!Mih3wA!D-VayU4D76htcPMSpfjj3jbRjEeNEUyjoVHHm3sG2_4CyNjLKMgVDLn2kFQ7hSWkS4HxjBNNB1gymhv2PNr2olAQWpU$ ), that
says:
"Subsequently, we repeatedly run the clean_artifacts function of the
clean raw data EEGLAB plugin, with the number of repetitions specified
by the bemobil_config.chan_detect_num_iter parameter. This is
necessary because clean_artifacts uses a random sample consensus
(RANSAC) approach that does not necessarily converge to the same
results when repeated. The function stores the sampling in a micro
cache that will be accessed when restarting the function without
restarting MATLAB or clearing the micro cache beforehand, resembling a
stable result. But  hen using the function with a cleared micro cache,
the detected channels might differ. To ensure a reproducible  ad
channel detection, we thus clear the micro cache and repeat the
detection several times, with a recommended minimum of 10 iterations.
Only channels that were flagged as ‘bad’ more than a given proportion
of the processed data (specified in
bemobil_config.chan_detected_fraction_threshold) are then detected for
final removal. We exclude all EOG channels from the detected bad
channels because their statistical properties will often lead to false
positive detection."

Maybe this is something you might want to look into.

Best
Ingmar