[Eeglablist] Issues in effective connectivity

Daniele Marinazzo daniele.marinazzo at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 06:51:10 PST 2023

Dear Danish

First, the usual distinction between map and territory (i.e. the target
properties we want to investigate and the methods used to measure them).
Personally I would refer as "effective connectivity" to methods involving a
generative model of brain activity, e.g. Dynamic Causal Models. Also in
that case it's easier to speak of "ground truth", even if of course you
cannot use the same method to generate the ground truth and to validate it.
DCM works on fitting the whole spectrum rather than individual frequencies,
even though individual frequency contributions would have an overall impact.

If on the other hand we have methods based on prediction, such as Granger
causality, it exists in the frequency domain (but without fitting two
separate models, which is problematic as Stokes and Purdon polularized
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.1809324115__;!!Mih3wA!DRA7wpoO7Sj5UwTfCHa12-H8Fj6hZlTbZPCzDs2cqW8NRNaOiwfO8pSAzRjak9_P7oepAyKwRY-b0Y1HkmXPGHNgdojYjgHL$  even if they ignored that
several solutions existed already).
In this case though, "causality" or "connectivity" is in terms of effects,
not of mechanisms, so it makes less conceptual sense to test a "ground
truth" against these models.

I would not normalize across datasets, and threshold only in terms of
significance (with the appropriate null model), i.e. not threshold in terms
of value.