[Eeglablist] simple question: logic of using ICLABEL to reject components

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Fri Feb 24 13:18:00 PST 2023

Dear Michael,

Lisa pointed me to this post.

See this paper. In Figure 4, it shows Brain 53%, Muscle 12%, Eye 9%,
Channel Noise <1%, Line noise <1%, Heart < 1%, Other 24% for awake state.
During the sleep state, Brain 74%, Other 23%, everything else < 2%. This is
for the case of 19 channels.

Automated preprocessing and phase-amplitude coupling analysis of scalp EEG
discriminates infantile spasms from controls during wakefulness.
Miyakoshi M, Nariai H, Rajaraman RR, Bernardo D, Shrey DW, Lopour BA, Sim
MS, Staba RJ, Hussain SA
Epilepsy Res. 2021 Dec; 178 106809
DOI: 10.1016/j.eplepsyres.2021.106809, PMID: 34823159

See also this Wikipedia article. It shows Brain 52%, Muscle 30%, Eye 6%,
Heart 2%, Other 11%. This is for the case of 38 channels.

https://sccn.ucsd.edu/wiki/Makoto's_preprocessing_pipeline#Does_a_broad_dipole_layer_produce_a_depth_bias_when_fitted_with_a_single_dipole.3F_.28For_190.2C000_page_views.2C_02.2F22.2F2022_added.2C_07.2F18.2F2022_updated.29

I have several other unpublished datasets with 64 channels (the LEMON
datasets; Babayan et al., 2019. *Scientific Data*). They also showed Brain
class around 55%. Although this cross-number-of-channel test is not
official, my impression is that the EEG data with standard quality seem to
show 50-55% of Brain class rate regardless of the number of channels.

I also calculate percent variance of the Brain etc. classes, but these are
not published. I will next time.

Makoto