[Eeglablist] EEGLabList280223/question on EEG epoch length for electrical stimulation study

David Mayor davidmayor at welwynacupuncture.co.uk
Tue Feb 28 08:29:34 PST 2023

Dear EEGLabList Community

We have a question on EEG epoch length for our electrical stimulation study.

We are investigating the EEG effects of transcutaneous
electroacupuncture stimulation of the hands (‘TEAS’) at different
frequencies. 66 participants attended for 4 sessions. Stimulation was
made up of alternating positive and negative (biphasic) rectangular
pulses,pulse duration 256 microseconds, at 2.5, 10, 80 or 160 pulses per
second, with a different frequency applied in each session. EEG was
recorded each time for 40 minutes (8 x 5-minutes) – before, during and
after 20 minutes of TEAS.

We wish to assess how epoch length impacts measures such as cordance,
the Hjorth parameters, a number of nonlinear indices computed using the
CEPS toolbox (Mayor et al. 2021, 2023), and some connectivity measures
from the HERMES toolbox (Niso et al. 2013).

We have two main questions:

1. Should we avoid multiples of the stimulation frequency periodicities
when setting epoch length in order to compute FFT or other measures?

2. Should epochs overlap or not? (see Benjamin et al. 2021)

A related question might be whether microstate durations (or other
microstate parameters) vary with stimulation, as they do for needle
acupuncture (Si et al. 2021).

Your comments and contributions would be welcome.

Thank you for your time.

Best regards

David Mayor and Tony Steffert

University of Hertfordshire & The Open University, UK

https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://electroacupuncture.qeeg.co.uk/__;!!Mih3wA!CCFCoQXUUdVCtgnfXg64SGMEhLLtbuFPGLbmL0u84LfrMlON9Qhf6L4C-LOIopNIbQGqsA5PNvuhUm0vNTdGsAPQ7IwYdmhi_Agl4A$