[Eeglablist] linear causal filter

nasibeh talebi nasibeh.talebi at gmail.com
Fri Mar 10 06:01:17 PST 2023

I want to pre-process the single-trial EEG signals for a connectivity study
(So the causality between signals must be preserved). Furthermore, for my
study, the filter should only be linear (so the non-linear minimum phase
filter is not suitable for me).

According to my studies, I think one recommendation is to use the linear
causal filter with *eegfilt.m* code. But on
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://eeglab.org/others/Firfilt_FAQ.html*q-should-i-use-a-linear-causal-fir-filter-with-delay-correction-or-a-non-linear-causal-filter-eg-minimum-phase__;Iw!!Mih3wA!FTkqp_XEBN-Ou1XueybEqx94jz9_vW80orzKJHQJ5m8xg2JEsBetYZ9anlSqohf4ElnES8Sc9cX3Nl5l529RX6lwwyX34g$
it is suggested not to use this code because it is broken! It is suggested
to use *eegfiltnew.m* code instead. As far as I know, in *eegfiltnew.m*, a
non-linear filter is used to minimize the phase.

1.      My main question is what linear fitter can preserve causal
relationships? Which of the codes *eegfilt.m* or *eegfiltnew.m* should I
use?

2.      If I manually specify the filter order in advance, can I use code
*eegfilt.m*? Why is it said to be broken?

3.      Do you have any other suggestions other than code *eegfilt.m* or
*eegfiltnew.m*?

With regards

Nasibeh