[Eeglablist] An open experiment on the data rank issue with ICA

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Tue Apr 4 13:09:57 PDT 2023

Dear eeglab mailinglist subscribers,

On May 7 2021, I announced on this mailing list that I started the open
experiment on the data rank issue (forwarded below). Just last week, the
project was published. Please see the paper from the URL below.

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/frsip.2023.1064138/full?&utm_source=Email_to_authors_&utm_medium=Email&utm_content=T1_11.5e1_author&utm_campaign=Email_publication&field=&journalName=Frontiers_in_Signal_Processing&id=1064138__;!!Mih3wA!HoFCU2dXFWJ4lr9yY3siKM-dK7zb3Bvkp4JnLYaneFgdQpFoOtjXtvLa1JvpkSlLeejnqhPQfZmw5zHn_Hdi2rFXqXs$

We did several experimental things in this publication:

   - We invited Dr. Sven Hoffmann, who kindly reported the issue with the
   solution (which was proven to be correct in our simulation!) Everybody can
   see his name in pop_runica() line 668, but the current implementation
   disables his original idea.
   - We did an homage project on ICA voice unmixing i.e. the original
   definition of the cocktail-party effect and effectiveness of ICA on this
   issue. One of the 'voice actors', TzyyPing Jung, actually performed
   the same part in the original demo in late 90's. So he played his own role
   after about 25 years.
   - We quoted several private communications with permissions regarding
   the issue of the correct way of applying average reference. We
   communications with Paul Nunes, Ramesh Srinivasan, Joseph Dien, and Dezhong
   Yao. In other words, everyone (as far as I know of) who published a
   paper/book on this issue. And Andreass Widmann who pointed me to this
   problem on the mailing list.
   - The second author is a high-school student--He joined us as an intern
   student. He turned out to be a fluent programmer and did all the analysis
   beyond my instructions by figuring out the purpose of the simulation by
   himself.

It was such a fun project. The rank issue is one of the recurring questions
in the past EEGLAB workshops. I hope our publication clarifies the
background of this long-standing problem and to provide a solution once and
for all.

Makoto