[Eeglablist] Power Analysis Units Question

Lue, James C. james.c.lue at ou.edu
Tue Apr 4 19:38:35 PDT 2023

Hi Folks,

I am a colleague of Sarah and wanted to add some context to her inquiry. We are conducting a time-series research design with single recordings, treating each recording as one epoch. We have event markers marking portions of the recording where the participant is performing the activity of interest. For each of these portions, our code is supposed to be calculating power spectral density for multiple frequency bands of interest.

For all our frequency bands, the values being returned to us are scaled from 0 to 1. They are clearly not in dB/Hz or uV^2/Hz. Output for this function was asked on MathWorks’ website.

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/answers/32523-units-pmtm__;!!Mih3wA!HyUTQHUaMkKPhIM1d7AiYFPeCdWRayirpSMH_LOnitFsqiLCCgEOglTML9QP7SW6eG6vyBZR7Ju4f8LQr4cIdJ4GfNU$

The answer was the output from pmtm() is m^2/Hz. But what is m? We are hoping there is someone out there who is familiar with this function and knows its output. Alternatively, if there is another function that we should be calling instead to get dB/Hz or uV^2/Hz, that would also be helpful.

Regards,

James Lue