[Eeglablist] Baseline in block design

Cedric Cannard ccannard at protonmail.com
Mon Apr 24 12:10:45 PDT 2023

Dear Patrick,

The baseline here refers to the pre-stimulus period, not a subject baseline like a some period you would record before starting the actual trials. While it used to be pretty standard to remove baseline before, new guidelines are to avoid it, as it is "statistically unnecessary and even undesirable". See for example:
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-023-27528-0__;!!Mih3wA!HslNgUeGGgB1MvOMbw5UdRXh4UNEpurRZ_QVOWqXDjPszAY-Iw_y6N9_9GBAibHH7vu_gcwm26z-wlkSVwxt_XrPiQ$
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/psyp.13451__;!!Mih3wA!HslNgUeGGgB1MvOMbw5UdRXh4UNEpurRZ_QVOWqXDjPszAY-Iw_y6N9_9GBAibHH7vu_gcwm26z-wlkSVwzzpqOXhg$

Simply apply a highpass filter (e.g. 0.5 or 1 Hz) instead to remove low frequency DC drifts.

Cedric