[Eeglablist] Fwd: Inquiry on ERP Analysis

Seyed Mostafa Hosseini Deldoost s.hosseini-del at uw.edu.pl
Tue May 23 06:07:10 PDT 2023

Dear All,

I am writing to inquire about my experiment and would greatly appreciate
your assistance in answering some questions that I have.

In my experiment, I collected data from 28 subjects and extracted
event-related potentials (ERPs) in three different windows. While I
observed visual differences between the two groups (n=13, 15) in some
channels, I did not find significant differences in peak amplitude using
both parametric and non-parametric tests across different components and
parameters.

I have three questions regarding this issue. Firstly, would calculating
mean amplitude instead of peak amplitude increases the likelihood of
finding significant channels? Secondly, if I were to use filters to smooth
the ERP wave, would this affect the significance of the results? If so,
what type of filter would you recommend?

Finally, due to the relatively low sample size, do you think it would be
more appropriate to analyze the ERPs region-wise rather than channel-wise?

Thank you for taking the time to read my email, and I look forward to
hearing from you.

Sincerely,
Mostafa Deldoost