[Eeglablist] -log10(p) on ERP plots

Arnaud Delorme adelorme at ucsd.edu
Wed Jun 7 02:58:25 PDT 2023

p is indeed the p-value (not power — although it is power in other plots but in that case it is not -log10(power) but instead 10*log10(power) to scale power to dB).

For p-values, -log10(p) gives you the following

p=1 -> 0
p=0.1 -> 1
p=0.01 -> 2
p=0.001 -> 3

If we have log10(p), it would be -1, -2, -3, etc… so -log10(p) is better as it represents the number of decimals after the decimal point.

Arno