[Eeglablist] HydroCel GSN 10-5 system

Richards, John RICHARDS at mailbox.sc.edu
Wed Jun 14 11:13:17 PDT 2023

Hanna; and others might find this helpful.

Its not straightforward.  The 10-10 locations to HGSN 128 listed on the www site are based on very few subjects, and likely slightly incorrect.  As far as I know there is no 10-5 equivalent.

However, I have individual structural MRIs, and average template MRIs, with the HGSN 128 and the 10-5 / 10-10 on the same individual.  We routinely using spherical spline interpolation to translate 128 channel data into 10-10 channel data, and could do the same for the HGSN and 10-5.  Our 10-5 is not a "true" 10-5, but are locations half-way between successive 10-10 locations.

There is no exact equivalent of the 10-5 and any HGSN net locations.  The HGSN places its electrodes by stretching plastic connecting wires across the head.  The 10-20 system(s) (10-20, 10-10, 10-5) place electrode locations in relation to anatomical fiducial markers.  The HGSN and 10-5 "equivalencies" will be different on two individuals.

So...I have a set of average MRI templates.  Each template has the fiducial anatomical locations marked and the 10-20 systems computed.  These will be "exact".  Most (many) of the templates are made up of participants who had HGSN electrode locations measured with the EGI GPS system.   The individuals with MRIs and HGSN locations are used to create average HGSN ELP locations on the template.  We also have the 10-20 systems, and electrodes, on the individuals.   Google "neurodevelopmental mri database"

1-You can take the locations of the HGSN electrodes and the locations of 10-20, 10-10, or 10-5 and find the closest 10-5 and HGSN electrodes.  Then call these "the 10-5 location of a HGSN # electrode".

2-Some journal articles (labs) have a set of HGSN electrodes that are "close" to a particular 10-20 systems electrode.  E.g., all the HGSN electrodes surrounding the "P7" or "P8" for the N170 ERP.  They do the simple avg of the ERP from these electrodes.

3-We use a spherical spline interpolation procedure to estimate 10-10 ERP ERP/EEG values from our HGSN recordings.  E.g.,  ERP-on-the-10-10 = sphericalspline(HGSN-locations, 10-10-locations, HGSN-ERP).  This effectively does a weighted avg of ALL HGSN electrodes weighted by a spherical spline function which weights HGSN electrodes close to a 10-10 location heavier than electrodes far away.  Generally our studies have a MRI for each person that has a ERP recording, so we can do individualized HGSN-to-10-10 spherical spline interpolations.

John

John E. Richards
Carolina Distinguished Professor
Department of Psychology