[Eeglablist] Extracting ASR weights and applying them later

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Wed Aug 30 09:23:56 PDT 2023

Dear Andraz,

> If I understand correctly, the cutoff of the high-pass filter does not
have much influence on the ASR results?

It does.
ASR is sensitive only to amplitude. And the lowest frequency of the EEG
data typically have the highest power (unless your data shows really
overwhelming alpha peak, which is not rare). Therefore, if the input data
to ASR is not well high-pass filtered, ASR will correct more data, and
clean_rawdata() will reject more windows in the end. This is why the (IIR)
high-pass filter is equipped in the very beginning of the clean_rawdata()
suite.

> In your paper in Epilepsy Research, you found that ICA or ASR+ICA reduces
phase-amplitude coupling (PAC). Do you suggest computing PAC on minimally
preprocessed data (i.e., only high-pass filter, cleanline, channel
interpolation)?

Any signal processing is to cut both signal and noise, hoping to cut more
noises than signals to improve SNR. So, as long as SNR improves, cutting
some amount of signals should be acceptable as necessary evil. If you can't
accept this principle, you don't want to use noise reduction processes. So
my answer is, try both and see which one is more satisfying to you. At
least you have choices.

> Are you aware of any other work that investigates the effect of cleaning
procedures on PAC?

I know there are other tribes that have different ways to 'clean' EEG data.
Some of them seem reasonable to me, some are not. I can't speak of the
methods I haven't used.
But, generally speaking--for example, someone told me that using
wavelet-based data cleaning is good for data cleaning. But, good, in terms
of what? For me, the more critical question is what determines the
rejection criterion. Selection of the linear space (spatial filter vs.
frequency filter) is less critical. When to declare something as a noise is
a domain problem specific to EEG research. In that sense, ICA+ICLabel is
one of the reasonable solutions available today that can be used in
automated preprocessing.

Makoto