[Eeglablist] Splitting the data for ICA

Scott Makeig smakeig at gmail.com
Mon Sep 4 13:47:27 PDT 2023

Jan -

I do have a new thought you might try ...
1 . ICA decompose the highpass data (say >1 Hz).
2. remove the back-projections of well captured brain and non-brain (e.g.,
eye movement) ICs
This will leave a full-channel count but lower-rank dataset.
3. Lowpass filter this dataset.
4. ICA decompose these data, first retaining by PCA, #dims = #channels -
#removed_ICs

This will not isolate sources into single ICs that result from moving
source excitations, but might reveal some useful structure in the lowpass
data.

Scott

On Mon, Sep 4, 2023 at 10:22 AM Jan Karsten via eeglablist <
eeglablist at sccn.ucsd.edu> wrote:

> Dear Scott and Makoto,
>
> Thank you for your answers, they give me some ideas to test out and
> discuss with my colleagues (& share them, if meaningful). But as you said,
> I guess only a quantitative evaluation can give an answer regarding best
> practices.
>
> Running the ICA on the bandpass filtered data (0.05 - 5 Hz) does not give
> any helpful results (even with a very low rank) for my data; the
> decomposition was not able to adequately isolate obvious artefacts
> (eyeblinks, cable artefacts...).
>
> Regards,
> Jan

Scott Makeig, Research Scientist and Director, Swartz Center for
Computational Neuroscience, Institute for Neural Computation, University of
California San Diego, La Jolla CA 92093-0559, http://sccn.ucsd.edu/~scott