[Eeglablist] EEGLabList/Collaboration opportunity for EEG researcher/s

David Mayor davidmayor at welwynacupuncture.co.uk
Sun Sep 10 23:28:22 PDT 2023

*Collaboration opportunity for EEG researcher/s with an interest in
functional connectivity and/or (linear) frequency cepstral coefficients *

 From David Mayor and Tony Steffert (UK)

*Our project* investigates the effects of different frequencies of
transcutaneous electroacupuncture stimulation (TEAS) applied to the
hands. We are looking for EEG responses in the brain that may be related
to the stimulation frequency (rather than just a volume conduction effect).

*Your collaboration* would involve using existing toolboxes to extract
connectivity and/or frequency cepstral coefficients from around 2000
pre-processed 5-minute 19-channel EEG recordings from 66 individuals.
Other features could also be extracted, if agreed.

We envisage that one or more of the following packages could be used:

·HERMES [https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://hermes.med.ucm.es/__;!!Mih3wA!F40g07mi4RnEVxdVu-imYksC0B5blVTu_r8rBkqGpf7fJu8zIWkTyX_1LA1PK0ufEKEICFLOnW5LIKJocXG_t8xTuC3KFuM9xyrgGw$ ]

·sLORETA [https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.uzh.ch/keyinst/loreta__;!!Mih3wA!F40g07mi4RnEVxdVu-imYksC0B5blVTu_r8rBkqGpf7fJu8zIWkTyX_1LA1PK0ufEKEICFLOnW5LIKJocXG_t8xTuC3KFuPSgpBP0g$ ]

·MNE-Connectivity [https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://mne.tools/mne-connectivity/stable/index.html__;!!Mih3wA!F40g07mi4RnEVxdVu-imYksC0B5blVTu_r8rBkqGpf7fJu8zIWkTyX_1LA1PK0ufEKEICFLOnW5LIKJocXG_t8xTuC3KFuMs2j_EJQ$ ]

·EEG dynamic connectivity and microstates analysis
[https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://github.com/stdimitr__;!!Mih3wA!F40g07mi4RnEVxdVu-imYksC0B5blVTu_r8rBkqGpf7fJu8zIWkTyX_1LA1PK0ufEKEICFLOnW5LIKJocXG_t8xTuC3KFuOIvWIepw$ ] (the latter with supervision from Stavros
Dimitriadis)

and

cepstralCoefficients[https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://uk.mathworks.com/help/audio/ref/cepstralcoefficients.html__;!!Mih3wA!F40g07mi4RnEVxdVu-imYksC0B5blVTu_r8rBkqGpf7fJu8zIWkTyX_1LA1PK0ufEKEICFLOnW5LIKJocXG_t8xTuC3KFuOleud0Eg$ ]

For those with the requisite skills, we anticipate that these tasks
should not be too demanding!

*Data*, re-montaged using an average local reference and filtered
between 0.5 and 45 Hz, mostly sampled at 500 Hz (although 32 files were
sampled at 250 Hz). The 5-minute time series__data are available in .mat
or .txt (csv) format, and 10-second segments in .txt (csv) format (10
segments from each 5-minute recording, without overlap). The files are
of two types, all recorded with eyes open – half were with pulsed
biphasic square wave electrical stimulation to the hands (at 2.5, 10, 80
or 160 pulses per second), and half without the stimulation. (Further
description of the data may be found in Uyulan et al. 2023,
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://doi.org/10.3390/app13042703__;!!Mih3wA!F40g07mi4RnEVxdVu-imYksC0B5blVTu_r8rBkqGpf7fJu8zIWkTyX_1LA1PK0ufEKEICFLOnW5LIKJocXG_t8xTuC3KFuNIkFVW0A$ .)

*Publication. *We can offer co-authorship for one or more papers in
appropriate open-access journals, but as independent researchers are not
in a position to be able to pay for the work carried out.

*About us:* We (David Mayor and Tony Steffert) have been working
together on this since 2011, with a number of papers already published
and more in the pipeline. (You can read more at
https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://electroacupuncture.qeeg.co.uk/__;!!Mih3wA!F40g07mi4RnEVxdVu-imYksC0B5blVTu_r8rBkqGpf7fJu8zIWkTyX_1LA1PK0ufEKEICFLOnW5LIKJocXG_t8xTuC3KFuNVFOJjMg$ .

DM is the author/editor of Elsevier’s textbook on electroacupuncture
(https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.electroacupunctureknowledge.com/__;!!Mih3wA!F40g07mi4RnEVxdVu-imYksC0B5blVTu_r8rBkqGpf7fJu8zIWkTyX_1LA1PK0ufEKEICFLOnW5LIKJocXG_t8xTuC3KFuPpVcKyrw$ ), and TS an experienced
qEEG neurofeedback practitioner and researcher (https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://qeeg.co.uk/__;!!Mih3wA!F40g07mi4RnEVxdVu-imYksC0B5blVTu_r8rBkqGpf7fJu8zIWkTyX_1LA1PK0ufEKEICFLOnW5LIKJocXG_t8xTuC3KFuMuxG3biQ$ ). In
2017, we organised a Brainstorm workshop for Sylvain Baillet and
François Tadel at the Medical Research Council Cognition and Brain
Sciences Unit in Cambridge, England. We are currently both visiting
Fellows at universities in the UK (DM at the University of
Hertfordshire, TS at the Open University).

**
If you are interested in collaborating on this project or have any
questions about it, please contact David Mayor before *1 October 2023*:

David Mayor
MA BAc FBAcC Hon member AACP

Visiting Fellow (Physiotherapy),
Department of Allied Health Professions and Midwifery,
School of Health and Social Work,
University of Hertfordshire, UK

[+44] 1707 320782__

davidmayor at welwynacupuncture.co.uk