[Eeglablist] EEG Postdoc and Research assistant positions in Active Perception, New York University Abu Dhabi

David Melcher david.melcher at nyu.edu
Wed Sep 20 03:32:30 PDT 2023

The Melcher Perception and Active Cognition laboratory in the Division of
Science, New York University Abu Dhabi, seeks to recruit a Postdoctoral
Associate and a Research Assistant to work on the mechanisms underlying how
the brain rapidly processes incoming sensory information in order to guide
our behavior.

*Post-doc:* https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://apply.interfolio.com/132211__;!!Mih3wA!D3wenkxbVFm4714O_blEZZorquRfSdVpG30TZHVjJ-uFj8q7jSI2CyIcEBOi2P-bR9fNN66XLgX8_75a17FW_8NiK848b7c$

*Research Assistant: *https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://apply.interfolio.com/132208__;!!Mih3wA!D3wenkxbVFm4714O_blEZZorquRfSdVpG30TZHVjJ-uFj8q7jSI2CyIcEBOi2P-bR9fNN66XLgX8_75a17FW_8Ni3kRS7wM$

Current research in the Perception and Active Cognition lab focuses on four
major themes:
1. Speed of processing: sensory information arrives continuously and needs
to be processed rapidly, according to our goals. Work in our lab has shown
that the speed of visual processing varies across people and is linked to
specific neural processes that can be measured with EEG/MEG.
2. The role of prediction: our brains use information from the past to
make, and update, predictions about upcoming sensory input. Work in our lab
has shown that both longer-term learning and current information, such as a
view of a stimulus in extrafoveal vision, leads to predictions that can
change our perceptual interpretation of objects and events. Our lab has
shown that predictions are important in quickly processing information
across eye movements when looking around or reading.
3. Brain and body rhythms: Sensory and cognitive processing varies over
time, linked to brain oscillations, external input (such as music) and body
movements. Work in our lab investigates how external input shapes these
rhythms, and how these rhythms shape our perceptions and actions.
4. Clinical implications, including individual differences in sensory
sensitivity and temporal processing: We are investigating how individual
differences in attention, sensory processing and working memory influence
performance in tasks in both control and in people diagnosed with dyslexia,
autism, schizophrenia and other psychological and neurological conditions.

The successful applicant will drive a fascinating project on one or more of
these major themes. This will involve planning and executing experimental
research with human participants. The candidate will work in a
multidisciplinary environment consisting of PhD-level scientists, graduate
students and undergraduate students.

Applicants must have a degree (appropriate to the position, either BS/MS or
PhD) in Psychology, Neuroscience or a related field.  Excellent
experimental skills relevant to the project are required, as demonstrated
by previous research positions and, in the case of the Postdoc,
publications in international scientific journals with a good ranking.

For consideration, applicants need to submit on "Interfolio" (links below)
a cover letter, curriculum vitae with full publication list, statement of
research interests and three letters of reference (or at least the names of
three referees who have agreed to provide a letter), all in PDF format. If
you have any questions, please email Prof. Melcher at david.melcher at nyu.edu.

*Post-doc:* https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://apply.interfolio.com/132211__;!!Mih3wA!D3wenkxbVFm4714O_blEZZorquRfSdVpG30TZHVjJ-uFj8q7jSI2CyIcEBOi2P-bR9fNN66XLgX8_75a17FW_8NiK848b7c$

*Research Assistant: *https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://apply.interfolio.com/132208__;!!Mih3wA!D3wenkxbVFm4714O_blEZZorquRfSdVpG30TZHVjJ-uFj8q7jSI2CyIcEBOi2P-bR9fNN66XLgX8_75a17FW_8Ni3kRS7wM$

The terms of employment are very competitive and include housing and
educational subsidies for children. Applications will be accepted
immediately and candidates will be considered until the position is filled.
Please visit our website at
https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://nyuad.nyu.edu/en/about/careers/faculty-positions.html__;!!Mih3wA!D3wenkxbVFm4714O_blEZZorquRfSdVpG30TZHVjJ-uFj8q7jSI2CyIcEBOi2P-bR9fNN66XLgX8_75a17FW_8NiGP57AiE$  for
instructions and information on how to apply.

About NYUAD:
NYU Abu Dhabi is a degree-granting research university with a fully
integrated liberal arts and science undergraduate program in the Arts,
Sciences, Social Sciences, Humanities, and Engineering. NYU Abu Dhabi, NYU
New York, and NYU Shanghai, form the backbone of NYU’s global network
university, an interconnected network of portal campuses and academic
centers across six continents that enable seamless international mobility
of students and faculty in their pursuit of academic and scholarly
activity. This global university represents a transformative shift in
higher education, one in which the intellectual and creative endeavors of
academia are shaped and examined through an international and multicultural
perspective. As a major intellectual hub at the crossroads of the Arab
world, NYUAD serves as a center for scholarly thought, advanced research,
knowledge creation, and sharing, through its academic, research, and
creative activities.

--
David Melcher (*he/him*)
Professor of Psychology

Room 139, Computational Research Building (A2)
Saadiyat campus
UAE: P.O. Box 129188, Abu Dhabi +971 26287794
USA: P.O. Box 903, New York, NY 10276-0903