[Eeglablist] Modify plotting parameters for pop_newtimef() and newtimef()

Lue, James C. james.c.lue at ou.edu
Sat Sep 30 15:23:51 PDT 2023

Hello,

I created some ERSP time-frequency plots with pop_newtimef(). My preprocessed data file is one large epoch of about 48 minutes. There are eight event markers of interest. The plots are based on sub epochs of -1,000 ms before the events to +1,000 ms after the events. Most of the default settings are fine. However, I need to make the following changes on the plots:

* ​Make the horizontal axis (time ms) be consistent for all plots, for all event markers. The issue is the default setting for the horizontal axis is based on ms for the large epoch (2,880,000 ms), not the selected sub epoch given to the function. For example, my second event occurs at 336,248 ms. Thus, the sub epoch begins at 335,248 ms and ends at 337,248 ms. I want to make the horizontal axis show as -1,000 ms to +1,000 ms, with the event being centered at 0 ms, for all plots, regardless of the actual temporal location of the event in the large epoch.

* ​Make the horizontal axis show the entire sub epoch time limit, which is -1,000 ms to +1,000 ms. For whatever reason, the function is truncating about 150 ms from both the left and right boundaries, meaning that the horizontal axis is only displaying around -850 ms to +850 ms worth of data.

* ​Smooth out the blocky appearance of the plot image. I can see distinct blocks moving up the vertical axis. The blocks seem to occur in increments of 4 Hz.

For your reference, the plot for my second marker is here: https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FHzRLfljwsVeSu5DB8DFRt94D8uLMyAF/view__;!!Mih3wA!FKJEgE4aPkfe-jvvydszjM2lf9q1I30NU6X3bmu2xCeOLIzNL4PnXhsItk6qgxDWZWSdCZAEG6tqdVWbQOAHhICvS0I$ . I don't believe the email list allows image attachments, hence the link to my image. I inserted a black vertical dashed line in the middle of the plot that corresponds to the event.

I reviewed the documentation for pop_newtimef() and newtimef() but couldn't figure it out. I'm fairly certain that these changes are possible because I've seen posters with customized time axes and smooth gradients. Any assistance is appreciated.

Regards,

James Lue