[Eeglablist] Question regarding source localization using DIPFIT

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Tue Nov 21 13:08:07 PST 2023

Hi Sravani,

I thought Fieldtrip uses automated anatomical labeling (AAL:
Tzourio-Mazoyer et al., 2002). I know it supports various others recently,
which I've never used myself.

Scalp-recorded EEG data do not have sensitivity to basal ganglia including
thalamus because

   1. These relatively small nuclei cannot form a stable and broad electric
   source. According to 'Electric Fields of the Brain' (Nunez and Srinivasan,
   2006), in order to observe 20-30 microV unaveraged scalp EEG signal, 6-7
   cm^2 of active synchronous cortical patch is required.
   2. Distance-dependent attenuation is too large for the deep sources.

Assuming that ICA finds physiologically valid cortical EEG sources. Now,
the question is why ICA always finds much more ICs with radial dipolar
projections than the tangential ICs although 2/3 of cortex are in sulci.
The answer is, scalp-recorded EEG is much more sensitive to the gyral
sources than the sulcal sources. My observation about this fact will be
soon published from Human Brain Mapping. My point her is, even a few
centimeter difference in depth from the scalp can greatly suppress the
scalp-measurerability in this way. Even if our brain has relatively large
area of synchronous electric source in the deep part of the brain, the
electric field generated by it would be nearly entirely suppressed near the
scalp region in terms of EEG amplifier's sensitivity limit (=thermal noise
floor with a few microV).

If you are curious about these topics, see also
https://sccn.ucsd.edu/wiki/Makoto%27s_preprocessing_pipeline#Physiologically_invalid_deep_dipoles.3F_.28For_130.2C000_page_views.2C_07.2F26.2F2021_Update.29

Makoto