[Eeglablist] Why most of good 'brain' ICs are 'dipolar' with show 'red'-centerd scalp topos, although 2/3 of the cortex is in sulci?

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Mon Dec 18 13:20:46 PST 2023

Hi Pål,

Here are some statistics from O'kusky and Colonnier (1982).

"There are thus about 160 neurons in the striate cortex for each
geniculocortical relay cell [...] Each individual axon is not restricted to
a vertical column of 160 neurons: rather, each spreads out tangentially and
overlaps with its neighbors. For each mm^2 of tangential spread there are
potentially thousands of neurons on which it might form synaptic contacts
in layer IVC alone."

Thus 1 relay cell is present for every 160 neurons, hence I reported 0.63%
in my Wiki article.
https://sccn.ucsd.edu/wiki/Makoto%27s_preprocessing_pipeline#A_big_scalp_topography.3F_.28For_170.2C000_page_views.2C_12.2F18.2F2023_updated.29
But as the authors indicate in the last sentence above, much more neurons
are effectively connected to the relay neuron via synaptic contact.

As Mountcastle showed, neurons are functionally organized to form cortical
columns. With the column, the signals are more redundant. This may give us
an insight into the sparsity of the structure: if every cortical column has
at least one thalamo-cortical network connection, that should be
sufficient.

"There are about 200 million (2×108) cortical minicolumns in the human
neocortex with up to about 110 neurons each,[16] and with estimates of
21–26 billion (2.1×1010–2.6×1010) neurons in the neocortex. With 50 to 100
cortical minicolumns per cortical column a human would have 2–4 million
(2×106–4×106) cortical columns." (Wikipedia
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cortical_column*:*:text=their*20Nobel*20Prize.-,Number*20of*20cortical*20columns,10)*20neurons*20in*20the*20neocortex__;I34lJSUlJSUlJSU!!Mih3wA!FvrdZluv-Y4_QJI6Gcw1_cwgdWfSsa2T-y6_cwpe508IJvg6s0fnFc5MzsmCoK2MkQSGytyD-wOBB6hhBuQ2-8Hf3fs$
)

To sum, in monkey BA17, 1 relay cell is present per 160 neurons in average,
while a minicolumn contains 110 neurons. A cortical column consists of
50-100 minicolumns. I don't know how far this finding can be generalized to
other cases, but it seems thalamo-cortical connection is generally
abundant. And if the authors are only talking about specific (core)
thalamic nuclei, the side of the thalamus, the non-specific (matrix)
thalamic nuclei may need to be considered separately.

I'm still learning these things and could be wrong. I appreciate your input!

Makoto