[Eeglablist] New textbook announcement: Modern statistics

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Tue Jan 9 09:14:01 PST 2024

Dear Mike,

Congratulations on publishing a new textbook!
"The book contains 19 chapters, 690 pages, 200k words, 390 figures, 45,000
lines of code, and 150 exercises" That sounds like an inventory of Costco.
It's amazing you single-handedly generated everything. And it is $26.99 on
Amazon (paperback) which is very affordable. I'm surprised. I look forward
to reading it.

You are eager to give us knowledge while enjoying the process. It reminds
me of 'bestowing virtue' mentioned in *Zarathustra*. It's an expression of
power--'virtus' means power.

*Passion for power: but who would call it PASSION, when the height longeth
to stoop for power! Verily, nothing sick or diseased is there in such
longing and descending!That the lonesome height may not for ever remain
lonesome and self-sufficing; that the mountains may come to the valleys and
the winds of the heights to the plains:—Oh, who could find the right
prenomen and honouring name for such longing! “Bestowing virtue”—thus did
Zarathustra once name the unnamable.*

Makoto