[Eeglablist] Approximate Entropy values very low

Cedric Cannard ccannard at protonmail.com
Fri Mar 22 15:10:23 PDT 2024

Hi Lizzy,

Did you use default parameters (e.g. embedding dimension m and tolerance r)?
In get_entropy(), the EEG signal is z-scored, and r is estimated on the standard deviation of the signal, following some recommendations.
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://github.com/amisepa/get_entropy/blob/98488048e6aa54af570aaf2d82377f5af0684a58/get_entropy.m*L221__;Iw!!Mih3wA!GiseWTo2tQTr3IvYtQFZQAd-zJlMUriv9NVKg9N-_3cgGY9gS83kFKAQmda_cbP_xIjqjwS8Vl4z8fpYNfJh0Ewcng$
This may explain the differences with "typical" ranges in the literature.
However, there is no real official guidelines for estimating entropy measures, and these methods are supposed to be better for noisy biosginals.

You could try to remove the scoring on that line and see if you get values closer to what you are used to see. Let me know!

Fuzzy entropy is actually recommended, but it takes longer to compute.

See:
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5644759/__;!!Mih3wA!GiseWTo2tQTr3IvYtQFZQAd-zJlMUriv9NVKg9N-_3cgGY9gS83kFKAQmda_cbP_xIjqjwS8Vl4z8fpYNfI2-PIfYQ$
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://hal.science/hal-02267711/document__;!!Mih3wA!GiseWTo2tQTr3IvYtQFZQAd-zJlMUriv9NVKg9N-_3cgGY9gS83kFKAQmda_cbP_xIjqjwS8Vl4z8fpYNfLR8wlO7Q$

Hope this helps