[Eeglablist] Correlation with N400 mean amplitude values

sujata sinha sujatasinhacse at gmail.com
Sun Apr 21 06:10:03 PDT 2024

Hi Veronica,

I agree with Arild's reply to your first question.
The same applies for your second question as well.

For example, you want to test the correlation between the mean amplitude of
the N400 in response to negative stimuli and the EQi test score.
Case 1:
Suppose, you have used the real N400 mean values (not the absolute ones),
and you found a positive correlation.
This means that higher the EQi score, more positive is the mean N400 value.
And, as the N400 is a negative deflection, we would conclude that people
who have larger EQi scores tend to show smaller N400s than those with
smaller EQi values.

Case 2:
You have taken the absolute values instead, and you found a positive
correlation. This would again mean that  higher the EQi score, more
positive is the |mean N400 value|, where |value| == absolute value.
As N400 is a negative going deflection, so you would say that higher the EQ
score, smaller is the N400 (less negative value).

Following the same approach, you would decipher the correlation if it is a
negative one.

Best,
Sujata

Thanks and regards