[Eeglablist] Question about preprocessing EOG channels for ICA

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Mon Jul 22 10:25:31 PDT 2024

Hi Ayaka,

If you find that your suggested approach works better than the standard
approach, go ahead and use it for your publication. Why not?

However, in doing so, I recommend that you show three results: (1) No
EOG-IC removal, (2) Standard EOG-IC removal, and (3) Customized EOG-IC
removal in your paper, either in the main text or in the Supplement. Based
on the comparison, try to convince your reviewers and readers including
experts. This is the only reader-friendly way to use a novel and/or
esoteric approach, and it's better than defending your approach just by
citing a reference paper. It is general advice that when you are in doubt
about whether you should choose A or B in this kind of situation, always
choose both and show the comparison, then make a choice with justification.

It's for developers, but personally, I think the following approach makes a
lot of sense.
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0165027006002834__;!!Mih3wA!CGYdTKf_6977-YZtILPE0GUP_YM4M5OjxoGCnB8OKAZ6PB-cclykRcNtoh4ayIzEpsoLCg15JMLdo2Z6hFHuwZ1CXlY$
However, the current status of their out-of-the-box application and its
performance compared with what's available today is unknown.

ICA results above 13 Hz start to show correlations among ICs, and it will
get worse progressively as the frequency bins increase.
But as long as you focus on ERP components at 13 Hz and below, the standard
use of ICA, including your suggested version, is fine.

Makoto