[Eeglablist] Fw: Re: ECG Channel Inclusion in ICA and ICLabel Steps

Scott Makeig smakeig at gmail.com
Mon Aug 5 20:24:27 PDT 2024

Jason and all -

There is a heartbeat signal - in EEG-in-fMRI (the 'ballistocardiogram').
Averaging on the R wave and visualizing the scap channels result in
animation shows a  potential that flows (up) the carotid and then up and
across the scalp diagonally.  The 'ballistic' title came from the
supposition that the scalp electrodes moving in the high-magnetic field of
the scanner.  But I hard a physicist speculate that it might (also) be some
sort of vascular 'Hall effect' [Wikipedia: The *Hall effect* is the
production of a potential difference <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltage__;!!Mih3wA!H7P0TN4v61HpukPPHO4oCDg4r8cshREkr_v0lzNnQH-DxBXkkVcNby7FFJxeIUVMkmPC_32Qo3AB73ZwPDTB$ >
 (the *Hall voltage*) across an electrical conductor
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_conductor__;!!Mih3wA!H7P0TN4v61HpukPPHO4oCDg4r8cshREkr_v0lzNnQH-DxBXkkVcNby7FFJxeIUVMkmPC_32Qo3AB7_MN23_f$ > that is transverse
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/transverse__;!!Mih3wA!H7P0TN4v61HpukPPHO4oCDg4r8cshREkr_v0lzNnQH-DxBXkkVcNby7FFJxeIUVMkmPC_32Qo3AB7ykdV50-$ > to an electric current
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_current__;!!Mih3wA!H7P0TN4v61HpukPPHO4oCDg4r8cshREkr_v0lzNnQH-DxBXkkVcNby7FFJxeIUVMkmPC_32Qo3AB78wnhxtz$ > in the conductor and to an
applied magnetic field <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_field__;!!Mih3wA!H7P0TN4v61HpukPPHO4oCDg4r8cshREkr_v0lzNnQH-DxBXkkVcNby7FFJxeIUVMkmPC_32Qo3AB74w7f9gR$ >
perpendicular <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/perpendicular__;!!Mih3wA!H7P0TN4v61HpukPPHO4oCDg4r8cshREkr_v0lzNnQH-DxBXkkVcNby7FFJxeIUVMkmPC_32Qo3AB7yr5JZDb$ > to the
current. It was discovered by Edwin Hall
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edwin_Hall__;!!Mih3wA!H7P0TN4v61HpukPPHO4oCDg4r8cshREkr_v0lzNnQH-DxBXkkVcNby7FFJxeIUVMkmPC_32Qo3AB75Q9wqA3$ > in 1879]. Scalp maps for
ECG-account independent components look similar - though I don't believe
that the averaged scalp potential movie for an EEG session should exhibit
the same moving map....

Scott

On Mon, Aug 5, 2024 at 5:13 PM japalmer29--- via eeglablist <
eeglablist at sccn.ucsd.edu> wrote:

> Hi Cedric and Makoto,
>
> My thoughts re the heartbeat source--I believe the heartbeat itself is
> mainly dipolar viewed from the "far field" of the scalp electrodes, which
> is why it shows up as a rainbow looking map. The actual dynamics of the EM
> field are more complex, but we mainly see only one component if any for the
> heartbeat.
>
> If there is a heartbeat related brain signal, I think it would likely be
> blood flow related, but we don't really see such components. I don't think
> such a component would be part of the heart located component since the
> blood flow would not be instantaneously synched to the heartbeat. All
> standard ICA components are only supposed to be instantaneously independent.
>
> Best,
> Jason

Scott Makeig, Research Scientist and Director, Swartz Center for
Computational Neuroscience, Institute for Neural Computation, University of
California San Diego, La Jolla CA 92093-0559, http://sccn.ucsd.edu/~scott