[Eeglablist] Fw: Re: ECG Channel Inclusion in ICA and ICLabel Steps

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Tue Aug 6 15:06:10 PDT 2024

Hi all,

If HEP

1. is recorded from the scalp,
2. is synchronized to ECG (R peak, for example),
3. has semi-constant delay (300-600 ms) relative to the heart beat,

then I think the HEP may be an EEG, but you say the delay is accounted by
the blood vessel's inflation in the head following the heart beat?
So are you saying HEP is a brain signal, or not? I'm still confused.

An ICA-decomposed heart-related component, if it is ever present (I agree
to John that it is rather rare), always shows tangential dipole angle when
fitted. Have you seen any radial (i.e. vertex-oriented) dipole for a
heart-related component? This observation makes me think that the source of
the heart-related ICs must be arteries and veins in the depth of the head.
Maybe Stefan Debener discussed it already in one of his fMRI-EEG works from
the mid 2000's which Scott mentioned.

Makoto