[Eeglablist] Comodulation

Tim Aarset aarset at verizon.net
Tue Dec 13 14:42:37 PST 2005

An open question for consideration by the group forum.

A psychologist from UCLA claimed that he 'invented' comodulation in
1994.  I have found references in the 80s - many in auditory processing:
the CMR or 'comodulation masking release'; others in simultaneous
excitation and inhibition of cortical neurons.  Hall's study from 1987
and BC Moore's review on several applicaitons dating from 1990 are just
two published studies that pre-date this claim.

Can anyone shed light on this for me?  As a broadly, though not
precisely defined function, correlative modulation or comodulation is a
valuable tool.  However, I cannot satisfy myself that any precise
formalism exists now to describe this cross-channel correlation measure.

Can you name the mystery psychologist?  Can you rationalize his claim?
Can anyone point to a precise definition of comodulation as a rigorous
function?

Thank you in advance,

    Dr. Timothy C. Aarset
    Intuitive Analytics