[Eeglablist] Difficulty Plotting Component ERPs in Rectangular Array, Difficulty Extracting Epoch

Darren Weber dweber at radmail.ucsf.edu
Thu Jan 26 13:11:06 PST 2006

Please do not reply to a thread and change the topic; compose a new message.

Darren

Dana Byrd wrote:

>I am interested in examining a series of single epochs of newborn
>128-electrode data using ICA so to detect blink responses.
>
>I wish to see both the plots of the component ERPs and the 2-D
>component scalp maps to help judge when blinks are occurring.
>
>Examining the 2-D component scalp maps proceeds as described in the
>manual.
>
>However, when I try to plot the component ERPs (Plot > Component
>erps > In rectangular array) to examine the waveforms, I get the
>following error message: “Extract epochs before running that
>function. Use Tools > Extract Epochs.”
>
>I thought perhaps the presence of baseline was the issue, so I
>attempted to extract the epoch (remove the baseline) prior to
>running ICA. This ended up generating a confusing set of error
>messages.:
>
>In Tools > Extract Epochs I filled in the following values:
>Time-locking event type(s) ([]=all)       DIN1
>Epoch limits [start, end] in seconds      [0 2]
>Name for the new dataset                  Epoch1
>Out-of-bounds EEG limits if any [min max] _______
>
>4 error messages then pop up, one after another:
>1. Error: no data
>2. Error using ==> eeg_checkset
>eeg_checkset error: no data
>3. Remove baseline of each channel (in each unbroken portion of
>Continuous data)
>4. Index exceeds matrix dimensions
>
>The .set and .dat files can be downloaded from
>http://www.columbia.edu/~db2239/data.rar.
>
>Could someone please tell me where I am going wrong such that I
>can’t: a) select the epoch without the baseline, and b) plot the
>component ERP waveforms while I can plot the 2-D component scalp
>maps?
>
>Thanks,
>Dana
>~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
>Dana Byrd, Ph.D.
>http://www.columbia.edu/~db2239/
>Postdoctoral Fellow
>Department of Developmental Psychobiology
>Columbia University College of Physicians & Surgeons
>New York State Psychiatric Institute
>
>Mail:
>Department of Developmental Psychobiology
>New York State Psychiatric Institute
>1051 Riverside Dr, Unit 40
>New York, NY 10032
>
>Phone: 917-974-1894
>
>Fax: 212-543-5467
>
>-------
>IMPORTANT NOTICE:  This e-mail is
> meant only for the use of the intended
> recipient.  It may contain confidential
> information which is legally privileged
> or otherwise protected by law.  If you
> received this e-mail in error or from
> someone who was not authorized to
> send it to you, you are strictly prohibited
> from reviewing, using, disseminating,
>distributing or copying the e-mail.
>PLEASE NOTIFY US IMMEDIATELY
> OF THE ERROR BY RETURN E-MAIL
> AND DELETE THIS MESSAGE
> FROM YOUR SYSTEM.
>Thank you for your
> [...]

Darren L. Weber, Ph.D.
Visiting Postdoctoral Scholar

Dynamic Neuroimaging Laboratory, Department of Radiology,
University of California, San Francisco,
185 Berry Street, Suite 350, Box 0946,
San Francisco, CA 94107, USA.

Tel: +1 415 353-9444
Fax: +1 415 353-9421
www: http://dnl.ucsf.edu/users/dweber

"To explicate the uses of the brain seems as difficult
a task as to paint the soul, of which it is commonly
said, that it understands all things but itself."
--Thomas Willis (The Anatomy of the Brain and Nerves, 1664)