[Eeglablist] difficulties in re-epoching data

Arnaud Delorme arno at ucsd.edu
Wed Jan 30 15:41:11 PST 2008

Dear Clayton,

you are doing the right thing. You could also run ICA on the continuous
data before extracting data epochs and then you would have this problem.

First, it seems normal that you will lose some epochs because most of
them correspond to different conditions than the one you are interested in.

Second if you have a large window for the original epochs (let say 3
seconds from -1 to 2 seconds) and your time-locking events are every 1
second for instance, then over the course of a 3-second epoch you will
have several events (for instance, one at -1s, one at 0s obviously, one
at 1 second and one at 2 seconds). When you re-epoch the data, not only
the events at 0s are considered but also all events at -1s,1s, and 2s.
However, for these non-0 events, your new epoching window (let say still
-1 to 2 seconds) will not allow to extract a full epoch and EEGLAB will
return the "out of boundary" message you mentionned.

Hope this helps,

Arno