[Eeglablist] [How can I] choice of recording reference

Arnaud Delorme arno at ucsd.edu
Wed Jan 30 15:42:27 PST 2008

Dear Tae-Ho,

> Today, I'm preparing a experiment with ERP.
> Because I have only a* *few experience with ERP recording, Im confused
> in choosing the reference site.
> Now, I'm just wondering how differeces are occured according to below
> reference choices.
>
> First, ERP/EEG recording with free reference, and then re-reference to
> averaged channel activity (using re-reference function in EEGLAB).
>
> Second, ERP/EEG recording with bipolar reference (e.g. Fz-Cz, Cz-Pz
> ...), and then re-reference to averaged channel activity.
>
> Third,  ERP/EEG recording with monopolar reference (e.g. A1), and then
> re-reference to averaged channel activity.

Technically, these are all equivalent. The computation of average
reference is of course different for each case. By recording with no
reference, you probably refer to the BIOSEMI system that do not have a
reference by default. That's the only system to my knowledge that can
record without a reference channel.

I would not advise to use bipolar reference as if one electrode goes
bad, the chain is broken.

Hope this helps,