[Eeglablist] ICA with 128 channels

Germán Gómez-Herrero german.gomezherrero at tut.fi
Mon Jul 28 02:05:45 PDT 2008

Hi Maria,
As Scott pointed out, I also think that what you are observing is due to the
fact that you are not using enough data samples for ICA to "learn" the
independence of the sources underlying your data. I would add to Scott's
comment that, if you are using narrowband filters before ICA, you might need
to use even more data samples than the number recommended by Scott (see the
references below for an explanation of this).

If you used too few data samples, ICA has probably "overlearned" your data,
and the estimated independent components represent an optimum of your ICA
contrast function only for the few data samples presented to the ICA
algorithm and do not generalize well for other than those data samples. I
would recommend you reading the following reference from J. Särela and R.
Vigario (2003), if you want to understand what is overlearning in ICA
algorithms:

http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/682476.html

If you are analyzing evoked potentials you might also be interested in
reading this paper by some of my colleagues and myself:

http://www.cs.tut.fi/~gomezher/projects/eeg/cimed05.pdf

As Scott tells you, the best solution to avoid overlearning is to use more
data samples but, if this is not an option, you can try some of the
solutions proposed in (Särela and Vigario, 2003). To rule out the
possibility that ICA has just overlearned your data can be quite tricky,
especially when performing exploratory analyses of high-dimensional
datasets. One possibility is using ICASSO:

http://www.cis.hut.fi/projects/ica/icasso/

Although the ICASSO code above includes only the FastICA algorithm, you can
trivially modify the code to use other spatial ICA algorithms (like Infomax,
JADE, etc...). If you are interested, I can send you such modified version
of ICASSO (without any guaranteed though because we are not the developers
nor the maintainers of the ICASSO toolbox).

Regards,
Germán

Germán Gómez-Herrero
M. Sc., Researcher
Tampere University of Technology
P.O. Box 553, FI-33101, Tampere, Finland
Phone:   +358 3 3115 4519
Mobile:  +358 40 5011256
Fax:     +358 3 3115 4989
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~gomezher/index.htm