[Eeglablist] ERSP graphs in microvolts (not in dB)?

Thomas Ferree tom.ferree at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 12:32:56 PDT 2008

Zach and Arno,

I have discussed this with a colleague of mine in statistics, and need to
refinemy previous statements:

1. The theory of spectral estimation states that power is chi-square
distributed.
See, for example, Percival and Walden, Spectral Analysis for Physical
Applications,
1998, section 6.6.  (The right skewedness compared to a Gaussian is
intuitive
for this positive-definite quanitity.)

2. The log spectrum does not have an analytical form for its distribution
(at least
not that we know), but it tends to a Gaussian in the limit.  (In effect,
taking the
log compensates for the right skewedness.)  The moments can be computed
analytically and are given in the paper by Bokil et al. (2007).

Note that both the statements apply to statistical estimates of the power,
e.g., averaged over trials.  As sample estimates, the trial-averaged power
values are themselves statististics, and have the above distributions.

Sorry for the confusion,
Tom.

--
Thomas Ferree, PhD