[Eeglablist] MEG tutorial?

Scott Makeig smakeig at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 10:36:50 PST 2011

Bill -

I hope some others will recount here their experiences analyzing MEG data in
EEGLAB. The principal obstacle has been that the sensor configurations of
different MEG systems (planar, 1st-order, or 2nd-order gradiometers) are
different and the software infrastructure in EEGLAB for dealing with
electrode locations is not adequate for working with more complex MEG sensor
geometries.  I would hope that researchers working with the same MEG system
type work together to augment the chanlocs structure with the additional
information. I know that Zeynep Akalin Acar could easily, for example,
augment her NFT head and source modeling toolbox to deal with MEG data once
the MEG channel description problem is addressed. Likely there are open
source matlab routines available, e.g. in freesurfer() and/or elsewhere, to
address the problem but they need to be integrated into EEGLAB.

Else, if you are *not* interested in performing MEG source analysis in
EEGLAB, then simply noting the centers of the MEG sensors on the scalp in
the EEG.chanlocs structure will make *all* the EEGLAB ICA, time/frequency,
plotting, etc. routines available and meaningful. One might, for example,
export infomax ICA or AMICA component maps of interest into some other MEG
software for localization. Again, what is needed to make EEGLAB inverse
modeling tools deal successfully with MEG data is largely a software
solution to the problem of specifying the sensor geometries, which, once
solved for a particular MEG system design, will thereafter be available to
all who use data from such a system.

Scott Makeig

On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 1:02 PM, Bill Prinzmetal <wprinz at berkeley.edu> wrote:

> Does anyone have a tutorial or sample data set for MEG data and
> EEGLB.  Even a small "toy" experiment.  EEGLAB is pretty easy with
> the excellent tutorial.  I will have access to some MEG data and I an
> not sure what preprocessing is necessary.
> Thanks
> Only muggles talk of mind 'reading'.  The mind is not a book to be
> opened at will and examined a leisure.  Thoughts are not sketched on
> the insides of skulls to be pursued by any invader.  The mind is a
> complex and many layered thing.     ~ Professor Severus Snape
> Bill Prinzmetal
> Psychology Department
> University of California
> Berkeley, CA 94720
> wprinz at berkeley.edu
> (510)643-7635 work; (510)236-5013 home; (510)685-8623 cell

Scott Makeig, Research Scientist and Director, Swartz Center for
Computational Neuroscience, Institute for Neural Computation & Adj. Prof. of
Neurosciences, University of California San Diego, La Jolla CA 92093-0559,
http://sccn.ucsd.edu/~scott