[Eeglablist] Problem with pop_rejepoch

Arnaud Delorme arno at ucsd.edu
Tue Mar 29 10:36:43 PDT 2011

Dear Peter,

I think this issue arises because some of your time locking events do not have latencies that end up on sample data points. For instance, if you have a stimulus at latency 1034.67 ms, it might not end up on a data sample. However, after epoching (i.e. realigning the data to this event for instance), EEGLAB functions consider the stimulus to be at latency 0 and therefore realign the event with the closest sample EEG data point. As a result, latencies of other events in the epoch have to be slightly shifted to preserve the absolute relationship between all the events.

This is OK because the time precision of the EEG data is at most 1/2 of a sample point. Also, it does not make much sense to have a stimulus at time 0.3 ms and other at another wide range of latencies while they are all supposed to be at latency 0. This used to create all sorts of problems in earlier (<2005) versions of EEGLAB. However, if anybody has some comments or suggestions for better practice, do not hesitate to share it with us.