[Eeglablist] Remove or retain low-mutual information components in ADJUST?

Erickson ericksonb.eng at gmail.com
Wed Jan 15 14:43:38 PST 2014

List,
I am creating a data processing pipeline using ADJUST to automatically
reject components. Before I let this monster loose on my data, I want to
make sure that I should trust ADJUST when it tells me that components low
on the list are artifacts. To explain:

ICA components are returned in order of decreasing mutual information.
Thus, component 1 has the highest MI, 2 the next highest, etc. At the
EEGLAB conference this year, Scott made the point that components very low
on the list contain very low MI and may not actually represent sources, but
noise not otherwise accounted for. Yet ADJUST does not seem to have any
cutoff - it will happily label component 84 out of a dimensionality of 84
as an artifact. If this component is not reliable, I certainly don't want
to eliminate it from my data as an artifact.

Has anybody dealt with this issue? Perhaps by setting some cutoff (half the
dimensionality? or some measure of MI?) below which we no longer accept
that calling a component artifactual makes sense?

Thank you,
Brian

Brian Erickson
Ph.D. Candidate
Applied Brain and Cognitive Sciences Program
Drexel University, College of Arts and Sciences, Department of Psychology