[Eeglablist] 3-years post-doc position available in Prague for epilepsy research

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Wed Jan 24 09:10:26 PST 2024

Hello EEGLAB mailing list subscribers,

On behalf of Prof. Premysl Jiruska, let me forward the following
recruitment information to you. The lab's publication record is STRONG! I
am very impressed.

Makoto

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Data scientist for epilepsy research Prague
Position: Post-doctoral Position

Deadline: 15 February 2024

Contract Length: 3 years

City: Prague

Country: Czech Republic

Institution: Second Faculty of Medicine, Charles University

Department: Department of Physiology

Epilepsy is a serious neurological disorder affecting 0.5 – 1 % of the
population. Our central goal is to gain insight into the fundamental
pathogenetic and pathophysiological mechanisms of the most severe
drug-resistant epilepsies. To address the most challenging and unresolved
aspects of epilepsy, we have created an agile and multidisciplinary team of
young and talented researchers. The multidisciplinary nature of the team
allows us to approach epilepsy from different perspectives and adopt a
complex approach to epilepsy research from the initial identification of
genetic defects to functional studies identifying the most suitable
therapeutic targets or discovering innovative treatments.

The department is equipped with state-of-the-art research methods ranging
from experimental neurophysiological and imaging techniques (wide range of
electrophysiological techniques from patch-clamp to multichannel in vivo
recording, calcium imaging in vivo and in vitro; 1-, 2- and 3-photon live
microscopy for calcium, voltage and neurotransmitter imaging in vivo) to
and optogenetic and chemogenetic tools of neural control. Using these
techniques, we aim to elucidate the cellular and network mechanisms of
epilepsy due to focal cortical dysplasia – the most common and highly
epileptogenic malformation of cortical development.

We seek a talented, collaborative, and motivated scientist with a passion
for neuroscience who has expertise in signal and/or image processing. If
you’re passionate about neuroscience and thrive on challenges, this is the
opportunity for you. Your task will be to propose and perform analyses of
the electrographic or imaging (GEVI, GECI, structural imaging) data to
determine the properties of various cellular subpopulations (healthy
principal neurons, gene-carrying neurons, various interneuronal subtypes)
and their role in the generation of seizures and other forms of epileptic
activity. You will also contribute to the improvements of the experimental
protocols that will increase the information yield of the experiments. Your
results will be the key to developing novel therapies for people with
intractable epilepsy. Be part of a team making a tangible impact on lives –
seize this opportunity to push the boundaries of epilepsy research!

Qualifications:

D. in neuroscience, computer science, bioengineering, or similar research
field
Good programming skills in Matlab, Python, or R
Knowledge of signal and/or image analysis
Interest in neuroscience

Publications:

Chvojka J et al. Mouse model of focal cortical dysplasia type II generates
a wide spectrum of high-frequency activities. Neurobiol Dis. 2023. doi:
10.1016/j.nbd.2023.106383

Abdelfattah AS et al. Sensitivity optimization of a rhodopsin-based
fluorescent voltage indicator. Neuron. 2023 May 17;111(10):1547-1563.e9.
doi: 10.1016/j.neuron.2023.03.009.

Kudlacek J et al. Long-term seizure dynamics are determined by the nature
of seizures and the mutual interactions between them. Neurobiol Dis. 2021.
doi: 10.1016/j.nbd.2021.105347

Maturana MI et al. Critical slowing down as a biomarker for seizure
susceptibility. Nat Commun. 2020. doi: 10.1038/s41467-020-15908-3

Kazemipour A et al. Kilohertz frame-rate two-photon tomography. Nat
Methods. 2019 Aug;16(8):778-786. doi: 10.1038/s41592-019-0493-9. Epub 2019
Jul 29. Erratum in: Nat Methods. 2019 Sep;16(9):932. PMID: 31363222; PMCID:
PMC6754705.

Chang WC et al. Loss of neuronal network resilience precedes seizures and
determines the ictogenic nature of interictal synaptic perturbations. Nat
Neurosci. 2018. doi: 10.1038/s41593-018-0278-y

Ready to make a difference? Apply now and join our team. Please include a
letter of motivation, CV and the name of at least one referee in your
application materials.

Prof. Premysl Jiruska, M.D., Ph.D.

premysl.jiruska at lfmotol.cuni.cz