[Eeglablist] FFT data with EEGlab, how to get them?

Arnaud Delorme arno at salk.edu
Fri Dec 10 17:50:18 PST 2004

Dear Maria,

> I've just started to use EEGlab 4.511 on a Matlab 7.0. I'm interested
> in extract from continuous EEG data (PSG) the  power spectrum of
> different bands frequencies (that I would like define by myself) from
> a specific channel, and then to have this data in a format (.txt is
> ok)  that allow me to export them into another software for
> statistical analysis.  I've already imported my raw EEG (from an EDF
> format) into EEGlab an I've done a visual artifacts rejection, but I
> have some problem in finding a function that allows to define spectral
> analysis features [e.g. frequency band-withs, spectral resolution
> (window on analysis, epoch lengh), how to add a cosine window, how to
> define the ovelapping rate].  I found in EEGlablist message archive
> that it is possible to do something similar by"/phasecohe/r"
> function...is it in EEGlab or in Matlab?

No, the best function is "timef" assuming you have data epochs. If you
do not have data epoch, use directly "fft" or "specgram" from the
command line. All of these functions return a range of frequency so you
then have to select specific rows corresponding to specific frequencies,
the export these in a text file (save -txt filename variablename).

*Arnaud Delorme, Ph.D.*
Swartz Center for Computational Neuroscience, INC, University of San
Diego California
La Jolla, CA92093-0961, USA

*Tel* :/(+1)-858-458-1927 ext 15/
*Fax* :/(+1)-858-458-1847/
*Web page*: sccn.ucsd.edu/~arno <http://www.sccn.ucsd.edu/%7Earno>
*To think upon*:

    The traveler has reached the end of the journey! In the freedom of
    the infinite he is free from all sorrows, the fetters that bound him
    are thrown away, and the burning fever of life is no more.

        /Dhammapada 90/