[Eeglablist] Memory issue

arno arno at salk.edu
Sun Feb 11 23:36:35 PST 2007

Dear Kristina,

> I'm new to EEGlab and have begun to use it to analyze data from our
> 128 electrode cap (collected with EGI's Netstation, 250 Hz).  We use a
> Mac G5 with tons of memory (4 gig), but we can't load files of size
> ~300MB or larger.

It depends on what kind of compression scheme the raw EGI file has. It
is also possible that your Mac cannot reserve arrays bigger than 2Gb.
Note that using Matlab 7.x can usually reduce the memory load by half.
Also, there is some memory mapping techniques in Matlab that now makes
it possible to access very big files (it is not implemented in EEGLAB
yet but we would welcome any help on that).

> I note earlier posts about a similar issue
> (http://sccn.ucsd.edu/pipermail/eeglablist/2006/001256.html), and the
> same issue
> (http://sccn.ucsd.edu/pipermail/eeglablist/2005/000757.html).  I
> wonder whether there's been progress about how to get around this.
> I also note that using biosig should help
> (http://sccn.ucsd.edu/pipermail/eeglablist/2004/000581.html), however,
> although it is included in the version of EEGlab I'm using, the
> instructions in the above post don't seem appropriate, as the file
> menu does not have a /"import data" by "From other formats using
> BIOSIG" option./

The BIOSIG toolbox is usually installed at the same directory level as
EEGLAB. If you uncompress EEGLAB and then move the folder (and not the
BIOSIG and Fieldtrip folder) then some menus in EEGLAB will not appear.
I suggest, you reinstall EEGLAB.