[Eeglablist] EEG Alpha Asymmetry

Palaniappan, Ramaswamy rpalan at essex.ac.uk
Thu Aug 9 00:50:35 PDT 2007

Dear all,

Yes, the hemispheric index is one possible choice, where R would be a channel in the right hemisphere and L would be a channel in the left hemisphere.

Some simple possibilities in MATLAB: (var(x)-var(y))/(var(x)+var(y)) or (log(var(x))-log(var(y)))/(log(var(x))+log(var(y))) where x and y are EEG data from each hemisphere. I think for the latter case, the base for the log is immaterial if used in this manner.

I have used it successfully for analysing several bands for BCI design: R. Palaniappan, "Utilizing gamma band spectral power to improve mental task based brain computer interface design," IEEE Transactions of Neural Systems and Rehabilitation Engineering, pp. 299-303, vol. 14, no. 3, 2006.

Best wishes,
Palani